SCRAP Step 17- Whisky Galore !

This could be my nicest de-cluttering task.    I have two top shelves in a chock-a-block cupboard which are laden with half-full malt whisky bottles, deliberately out of easy reach, otherwise I would be an alcoholic by now.

I acquired most of the bottles as gifts, as a result of the quite unfounded reputation I had at ExtraCare Charitable Trust of being a frequent tippler of malt whisky 😀.     My undeserved reputation came about because I used to do an induction  talk to new staff at the opening of every new housing scheme or retirement village.   It was called my ” suitcase talk”.   I dressed up as an old man moving in with his lifetime possessions in his case.      The idea was to challenge them to draw up a support plan for me based on what they could learn from my suitcase contents.

One of the things I had in my case was a miniature bottle of malt whisky, which I proceeded to drink in front of them, while denying that I drank at all.    They made lots of incorrect assumptions about me e.g.:- “do you come from Scotland?”— No, I was born in Abergavenny in Wales;   “Do you like whisky?” —- Yes, especially Spey-side malts and Ardbeg, a wonderful peaty Islay whisky I discovered on a 60th birthday salmon fishing trip to Scotland;    and then finally out of caring concern for my health  ” should you be drinking, won’t it affect your medication?” — Yes, probably but my doctor told me to take my pills with a drink, so mind your own business.      By the time I had finished my talk, some of the staff had me down as an irascible old man who was probably drunk half the time!

The point was they needed to talk to me not just make superficial assumptions from what they first saw.     That applied to all my possessions and to all their new residents.

whiskey

Now, thanks to all those excellent staff,     I am going to have an enjoyable few years of retirement de-cluttering my shelves of whisky bottles.      I will no doubt turn into the old man the staff first thought I was.

CHEERS.    😀

There must be a better idea for dealing with how to de-clutter my shelves of whisky :-).   Any inspiring ideas ?

There will be a copy of Walt Hopkins and George Simons’ book — “Seven Ways to Lighten Your Life Before You Kick the Bucket” — for the best ideas on de-cluttering.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to SCRAP Step 17- Whisky Galore !

1. If you need help, let me know!

• john graham says:

You are most welcome to join me George. I can recommend de-cluttering whiskey it is definitely more enjoyable than some of my earlier efforts with paperwork —- cheers😀 And socks — slange😀 And pens 😀😄and pins 😁😁😁 and paffer clips😂😂 and socks ?.? Did I already say socks ?.. SSCHEERS.

2. Mo Graham says:

Go for it John! Suggest you ‘reward’ yourself daily after each de-cluttering session with a glass or two to help with the shelf clearance project😘

(By the way, don’t bother looking for your car keys – I’ve hidden them!!!)

3. Dear John, I am writing to you, with a goodbye, (shed a tear! or tears?), as one becomes older, more doddery, the half full tot glass, does not know if it is empty or full, as the shakes take hold, and you tipple half the drink down your front, and become a scented distillery. It is all in the mind, and I sailed with fellow colleagues who were ‘scots and drank Crawfords (From Mull), and then Johhniie Walker, or Bells, or as you many exotic brand of a select malt whisky, or even an irishman with his brand of whiskey, or even a renergrade with Jack daniels. Your shelf john before the highland clearances must have, and did as you say provoke many a memory.
    It is good to dream now and again, before one drifts gently into senility, and the staff you once knew, and lots or residents remember you for the thoughts and vision you have had, and I suspect still have with your invitations to speak (Maybe now less frequently) on the old citezen of the UK, and what a joined up society, if it is united and co hearent can bring joy , happiness and contentment, to that aging parent, grand parent, or just plain elderly citezen :male or femail.
    John you may travel with your suitcase still, a pair of jim jams, undies and socks and a clean shirt, visiting many a place, but as always you appear to enjoy your or their company ;your fellow human being. Slangavar!!!

4. Here I am another week: Last night was the last programme on the NHS Trust which included Hammersmith, Charing Cross and St Mary’s hospitals (BBCTV2 broadcast at 21:00 hours- 15 02 2017.)
    I was amazed at the medical specialism’s that abound in physical health for the body-I question what is the answer to mental care and mental defects (Brain surgery): These effects are not so grandiosely high- lighted, except for brain blood clots, and the disastrous effects these can have on one’s personal life.
    I now wish to stand on my head and metaphorically turn the NHS Upside down? In my younger day I worked for the London Office of an international (Swedish based) Engineering company, making very large and very small steam power plant and associated equipment. Part of my induction was a compulsory works visit to their manufacturing plants in various parts of Sweden. One thing that I learnt in talking to the Swedish management, as they instructed me was money? They sincerely believed it was more beneficial to have expensive complicated machines standing idle than fully trained manual operatives (Workforce)! Therefore their investment strategy was buildings and plant capable of undertaking the manufacturing tasks, and a minimised but high trained and expensive workforce- as the costs and hidden costs was in the manpower and any corrections needed to waylay or design out a fault.
    Coming back to the NHS the last labour government spent pounds on developing super hospitals and centres of excellence; we now have a situation with closing down the old hospital units, we have no beds or nursing staff, or ward closures in the super hospitals. Something is radically wrong? We have the capital plant and buildings, but not the ability to have trained carers? Have we over trained our nursing caring staff, and all these super-doper operation theatres and clinicians and consultants, are we paying for them all to stand around and talk??? Answers on a postcard please!!! After all, once one has got past the sentimental feelings, The NHS is a system/factory for dealing with the unwell; is it not? Or have I forgotten something, are clinician’s, doctors and surgeons and consultants GODS: after all their experience and ability to cure is based upon our own very personal mishaps and misfortunes in life. We all come from the same root-the human race or society.

• john graham says:

That is an interesting twist on the NHS. Whilst we have all benefitted from the technology, they certainly have lost the personal touch. To many older people the latter is more important than the former.

5. davidwfreeman237 says:

‘tucket’ is the word, from walts and georges books -memories and things to cheerish.
    I must recall the first day I wore long trousers to school, and then aged 12/13? i was permitted to go the an evenings (!st house) showing at the local cinema ( No more saturday matinees)- the Imperial cinema in Horseforth High street. I was lead by my pal at the time alan (some 2 years older), and we caught the Ledgards Moorfield Bus, there and back, arriving home at some time agfter 20;40 or there about’s- proper grown up, an evening out, just alan and I.
    As we had caught a bus, gone to the ‘flicks’ (Titfield Thunderbolt’ was the film), we had no extra pocket money for a bag of chips (4p) on the way home. But a wonderful time and memories.
    The’ b’ film was a horse opera of some dubious short- the Titfield Thunderbolt was the main event.

6. john graham says:

I wrote this post a few weeks ago and decided to publish it on my 70th birthday. What a great coincidence it was that I received special surprise just before the blog was published on February16th —– A bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail —— World Whiskey of the Year in 2009.
    A present from four friends, two who came to Scotland with us for my 60th, when we met the Head Ardbeg distiller and first discovered his wonderful malts; and two publicans who on holiday last year took me on a guided tour of the Ringwood Brewery and started my on another drinking habit 😀
    It is good to be alive !

7. davidwfreeman237 says:

While you are reminiscing John, I am mind in neutral listening to two pre-recording radio programmes that I enjoy: the first is the organist entertains;the second big band music.
    They allure me into distant vista’s countries and dreams, as for one I enjoy the music, and secondly they take me back to my formative years in the NOrth of England, with the towns and seasides I know.: The organist entertains takes me back to Blackpool, and Leeds and Saltaire as the various worlitzers, compton (organs), and Leeds with the Thurlesford Old Leeds ODEAN worlitzer blaring out, many a foot-tapping strict tempo tune; which again takes me back to Wetherby’ the old Mill dance hall, where Molly and I spent many a happy counting hour, by the riverside, and dancing the night away (Until midnight that is- then Molly had to be home)
    The big band music again takes me back to the WEST RIDING, returning home with mum and dad, and we left Liverpool (Grandpa) and returned home over Nount Sahra’s pass into Yorkshire-huddesfield and then home. On a clear night one could see the twinkling of street lights in the OLdham/Manchester district of Lancashire- then the dark moors and as one come over the tops the well coming and twinkling lights of the yorkshire woollen towns, and the names of the bands take me back to these towns (Raistrict and brickhouse- Black Dyke -Hudderfield, Hammonds-Shipley,). I am dreaming! I but I do enjoy those few moments alone. Even in the early years my home village RAwdon had a Feast (Fair to the unititiated) and a ‘silver band’ long since gone)