“Silence is Golden” 2

In April last year I wrote a blog about the invasion of noise in our lives entitled “Silence is golden”.   It was an early morning grumble, but perhaps not surprising given I was in central London at the time.

Now one year, on  I find myself in the heart of the country making the same complaint !

This is a sitting -in-the- garden sunny day reflection —- not so much a grumble more an ironic smile.

It’s natural to be potitive about life when sitting in the sun, especially when the spring birds are joyfully singing their songs for free. The village church bells chiming out the hours of the day are a timely and welcome addition to the country orchestra.  Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING   lawnmower of one of my neighbours. Not so much interrrrrrupting my trrrrain of thought , as completely obliterrrrrrrating any thoughts I could have strrrrrung togetherrrrrrrr. The mower not only cut the grass it gave a short ,back and sides to my brain as well !

If we are going to have any more human rights, how about a right to peace and quiet ? Maybe the Kilsby Parish Council could pass a bye-law that lawns can only be mown on  one fixed day a week.  If they could make it Wednsday when the bin men come we could get all the noise over and done with in one day.   On that day all the grumpy old men in the village, like me, could go to the pub in the next village where moeing could be done on a Thursday.

As I write this blog a small plane flys overhead and they must have forgotten to put oil in the engine, because it sounds like a Lancaster bomber. Iwonder if we can have a no-fly zone over Kilsby — except on Wednesdays.  It would certainly make air traffic controlers lives more interesting.

Isn’t that what localism is all about ?

This entry was posted in GRUMBLES, SMILES. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to “Silence is Golden” 2

1. the flower pot man says:

Time for tea I think and crumpets on the lawn-If your mind and body can strech to such activities at your age. Obviously an inocent little Bee pollonating, will be considered a nuisence? If so what are you to the Parish Council, or are you the chairperson and can pontificate as the occasion takes you!!!

• john graham says:

No I am not on the Parish Council. So I will forgive them if they do not manage to reach agreement with the world powers to establish a no-fly zone. They are doing good things putting drop kerbs all around the village.

2. The Flower Pot Man says:

What an august body you are? with a sharp wit and keen mind. I hope the Parish council have all the kerb stones neatly in a row for your forthcoming inspection. The powers at B, well that is another story, and like me I assume you still have your vote, your voice and offcourse your say? UPem ALL!!!

3. Minnie's Dad says:

So that’d be every Wednesday would it? And what if, come summer (or the rainy season as we know it around here) the lawn needs cutting twice a week?

It’s alright for us retired gentlefolk but back when I was gainfully employed I would return home when it was too late or dark to go a-mowing. In respect for those whose only day off was a Sunday, we didn’t mow then. So that only left Saturday. Which was fine unless it rained, thus giving the lawn another week to grow and probably then requiring a resetting of the blade height and going over it twice.

I am also blessed with a Wife who’s of the opinion that ‘wet grass’ is merely my way of not mowing the lawn. Not even showing her the mower’s manual would persuade her, despite its warning not to mow wet grass.

Actually it read ‘CAUTION: DO NOT MOW WET GRASS’.

As it happens, her practical experience is limited to two attempts when we only had a very small lawn. Both came to an abrupt end when she mowed through the bright orange power cable.

We did have a neighbour who emphasised that THEY never cut their lawn on a Sunday. I pointed out that although this was technically true, they actually employed a gardener who could pop over twice during the week to do it.

What we really need is a genetically modified grass that’s content to grow to a convenient length. But grass can be surprisingly tricky stuff. There is this ‘one third rule’ which – as the name suggests – means only cutting one third of its length at any one time. Cut too much and you expose parts of the grass that aren’t used to the sun – and they don’t like it. That’s also why lawn mowing is best done in the evenings.

On the other hand, you don’t want it too short. Grass roots go deeper as it grows taller. So in dry conditions they can still pick up water. My neighbour claimed I was just being lazy by letting our lawn grow slightly longer than theirs, despite the fact that I was mowing it just as often.

However, the point was made when we had a drought and their brown lawn was compared with our greenish one – and no, there was no clandestine watering involved.

Still, must stop now. It’s midday on a Monday and our neighbour’s gardener has just turned up to mow their lawn.

• John Graham says:

This Wednesday I have taken myself off to a London library for some peace and quiet, s0 there should not be any lawnmowers here 🙂
      But do be very careful with that cable especially in the rain. Check if your wife has increased you life insurance recently. Her interest in a nicely mown lawn might not be entirely altruistic.

• Minnie's Dad says:

Thanks for your concern John, but we had to abandon the tethered cable electric mower once we acquired a larger lawn.

(No doubt this also explains why the mains-powered electric car has never really caught on.)

The best way to cut a large lawn – other than getting someone else to do it – is undoubtedly while seated on a tractor type mower. Highly recommended for their entertainment value, but rubbish in the exercise content.

On the other hand, they’re very versatile. We had one that came with headlamps, presumably in case we had a need for a little night mowing. A neighbour had something similar which he used for the short journey to the nearby Pub. All just some of the benefits of country life!

4. vicar says:

Now now boys put up your power cables and down your watering cans, and let the tinkle of glass on glass take place. A garden bench, a beer or wine or two and a nice warm day while the remainder of your family discuss your oaths, keep fit regiemes and your general well being and behavior behind closed doors. Upem ALL!! enjoy ones age and freedom to do as one wishes. Iam a tiger on paper but a mouse in reality, but I do enjoy dutch courage