Cloud Surfing – Resurrection Pass, Alaska

GrumbleSmiles was set up to provide innovative answers to tackling the problems of loneliness in later life.    Many older people are less able to get out and about, which can be the first steps towards a life of isolation.

My travel around the clouds continue (you can see more of my travel adventures by clicking on CLOUD SURFING in the TAG CLOUD).   Today I invite you to join me on a trip to unknown destinations around the world and an opportunity to talk to new and interesting people.    All at no cost and from the comfort of your own armchair.

We are going cloudsurfing to Resurrection Pass.

Courtesy of a blogger and photographer who lives in Alaska.  Her blog is called Gullible’s Travels and her name is Jeanne Waite Follett.  My thanks to her for sharing her excellent travel stories.

Before I went cloud surfing today, I went out walking with my personal trainer – a cockapoo called Coco.

She takes me out for a walk most days.

So today in my cloud surfing, my attention was grabbed immediately by a little dog called CooBear.  CooBear features in a blog about a trek through Resurrection Pass, which I must admit is a bit more adventerous than the fields around Kilsby.

You can read the full story by clicking on the link below.

In the weeks ahead, I will publish more blogs and photographs from my cloud surfing travels.

This entry was posted in SMILES and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Cloud Surfing – Resurrection Pass, Alaska

1. davidfreeman says:

alas as I wander alone all at once I saw a host: a host of golden daffodiles! or words to that effect by wordsworth. John as you travel the lanes and paths with your pooch, who do you meet? what words or greeting do you exchange with your fellow travellers, and possible dog lovers! and friends of COCO?
    The blog site is very interesting, and the travels of the younger lady, sleeping in a tent under the stars; I ask does she carry a gun or firearm of shorts? My English following of all those saturday matinees in my youth at the ‘flicks’ reminded me of ‘Davey Crocket” and those supposedly wild bears, who gobble you up. Jeanne appears to travel at easy in the Alaskan wilderness, with only a pooch to guard and guide her? I just wonder if Jeanne has been caught in a compromising position, as I would utter with ”her draws down around her ankles” Hee Hee.
    It is, or I am grateful to admire the travels of Jeanne that was in 2011, I just wonder as she now is that bit older; I ask the question does she look forward to this type of adventure, or reflect gently in dreams from her ‘rocker ‘ on the porch front?? I ask what does age do? do you look forward or gently reflect? what do you do? answers on a postcard please, to the usual address!

2. davidfreeman says:

Sprouts
    I now reflect gently in what Molly and I can do in the future, and look forward too in life as 70+ year old s. I find we are restricted not by the mind, but by the body, and that can be limiting. A total travel by plane of some more than 4 hours is doable but can be uncomfortable. Hence basically Molly and I look forward to foreign travel within the EU up to a maximum of 4 hours air travel, or a cruise with no more than 3 hours travel too or from the ship, and then a gentle cruise of some 10-15 days. Southampton to Southampton Round the world est to west or west to east is a dream unless ‘ernie’ turns up trumps. The travel agents Boucher are a read to enjoy in quieter moments.
    Apart from those dreams we have the family births, weddings, christening, and funnel ‘’seedy cake and ham ‘’ parties which will happen, I am left with my memories to recall, of my past life.
    My working life had its high lights, and together with blood sweat and tears was a means to an end.
    At present with Jeanne ‘s blog in mind our family holidays come to mind in Cornwall, Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth Skegness, and days out to Bridlington and Scarborough, Staithes the English Lakes, and the Norfolk coastline resorts?.
    Basically ice creams sand sea, donkey rides and funny hats, with the confessional punch and Judy show.
    Nearer to retirement age Molly and I travelled further afield as a couple – New England tour by our own drive car, including New York its theatre district Broadway, and the shops in Manhattan. Then the dream of a lifetime New Zealand both North and South Island, with a stop over in Bangkok for some 4 days- This was a dream which we still relive, and are thankful we did it while we could both afford it and had the health to do so. WE then travelled within the EU, Prague, Canary Islands, river cruises on the Rhine and Dunno, then Bacellona, Ballarac islands, Cyprus, Benidorm and our favourite Lake Garda-Italy,
    This may seem excessive however it covers a perI remember as a younger man travelling a lot to places in Europe: When the day was done I wish to talk to my wife Molly and the children, alas on wentiod for our mid 50’+ to day, and some careful budgeting. The places we recall, with the photographs; However like all travel throughout ones life it is the people one meets.
    back to a hotel, and ate ones evening meal in quietness with people chattering about one in their native lounge enjoying a joke or two, but all in a foreign tongue to me, It could be extremely lonely. As has been said ‘’in a crowd of people, plenty of company;however all alone’’.
    In old age one has a life which may be devoid of company, but not ones native tongue, just talk either in real life or share a dream on a blog with a native speaker. Hopefully one does not have to be alone. Share your dreams and reflections on life.

3. davidfreeman says:

I humbly apologise for my comments under sprouts above. My words and sense of the writings have no place on this erudite blog by JOHN. I have finger problems with my editing/cut and pasting.
    I submit a corrected copy of what I wished to say below under sprouts xyz. John please consider my request and remove ‘sprout from the site, leaving on the ”sproutsxyz” DAVID. I am sorry for the inconvenience, and embarrassment that I may have caused.

4. davidfreeman says:

SproutsXYZ
    I now reflect gently in what Molly and I can do in the future, and look forward too in life as 70+ year old s. I find we are restricted not by the mind, but by the body, and that can be limiting. A total travel time by plane of some more than 4 hours is doable but can be uncomfortable. Hence basically Molly and I look forward to foreign travel within the EU up to a maximum of 4 hours air travel, or a cruise with no more than 3 hours travel too or from the ship, and then a gentle cruise of some 10-15 days. Southampton to Southampton Round trip cruise, maybe? the world east to west or west to east is a dream unless ‘ernie’ turns up trumps. The travel agents Boucher are a read to enjoy in quieter moments.
    Apart from those dreams we have the family births, weddings, christening, and finally ‘’seedy cake and ham ‘’ parties which will happen, I am left with my memories to recall, of my past life.
    At present with Jeanne ‘s blog in mind our family holidays come to mind in Cornwall, Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth Skegness, and days out to Bridlington and Scarborough, Staithes, and the English Lakes, and the Norfolk coastline resorts?.
    Nearer to retirement age Molly and I travelled further afield as a couple – New England tour by our own drive car, including New York its theatre district Broadway, and the shops in Manhattan. Then the dream of a lifetime New Zealand both North and South Island, with a stop over in Bangkok for some 4 days- This was a dream which we still relive, and are thankful we did it while we could both afford it and had the health to do so. WE then travelled within the EU, Prague, Canary Islands, river cruises on the Rhine and Dunno, then Barcelona, Balearic islands, Cyprus, Benidorm and our favourite Lake Garda-Italy, and the northern lakes.
    This may seem excessive however it covers a period of life? I remember as a younger man travelling a lot to places in Europe: When the day was done I wish to talk to my wife Molly and the children, alas there we were in two different places, Molly at Home and me at work, listening to a lot of people laughing and joking in a foreign tongue back to a hotel, and ate ones evening meal in quietness with people chattering about one in their native tongue enjoying a joke or two, but all in a foreign tongue to me, It could be extremely lonely. As has been said ‘’in a crowd of people, plenty of company; however all alone’’.
    It may be the places we recall, with the photographs; However like all travel throughout ones life it is the people one meets, who make the most pleasurable memories.

5. davidfreeman says:

I now wish to par take of your patience and indulgence, and ‘Resurrect” people that pass?
    Yesterday I went up to the smoke to enjoy my old marine buddies, and throw around the room in the pub, lots of past ‘hogwash, and also listen too it? It was a good day.
    What made the day more memorable were strangers on the train journey up and return from London. On the morning train which was crowded, and we all sat cheek by jowl, I faced a lady and a gent {both related in their late 50’s mid 60’s. The conversation covered genealogy and where did they come from, Sweden, finland, france, Australia, cananda, USA, Croatia the Baltic states, Italy Spain, and some more merry mixes. Then they talked about age {I am mid 70’s} and ortherpedic experiences in the NHS. There professional outcome was you could drop a baby, it may bruise, but its bone structure would flex and mend. If one was late 50’s 60’s and tripped fell of slipped of a chair, one would be heavily bruised and suffers a fractured limb? Not bad so far? If one was over 70+ and tripped and fell and slipped off a chair one was a hospital case with multi fractures and the colour of black and blue, and not much hope? By the time we reached London, I had sat in silence for long enough? I politely excused my self and asked if I may speak? The invitation was given, I thanked them both for a most riveting conversation during the journey, I said I was unsure where I came from, and that I was an ‘OLD Crock” and going on my way, with a smile for a most mind blowing conversation, which I had enjoyed, but not been party too, by my mind was reeling, and my ears had been burning. throughout the journey.

6. davidfreeman says:

Again 27 June the train journey home was crowed, and a lady sat next to me. We were alighting at the same station. The lady was a legal eagle in land deals. The lady did not look her age, far younger. Her experience in life had been children/marriage and then higher education in the sciences, then a higher degree in legal matters concerning ownership of land/deeds/ and contracts, but not business type contracts. A subtle move from the north of England to London, with family and career, and now working on a panel with HSR development. The young lady was or had been president of some legal learned society, so again my train journey home today had been eventful and enjoyable
    Another item concerning people while I am shooting the breeze, was last night after shopping with Molly for groceries we met in or village foyer an elderly resident [gentleman], he was distraught and admitted he was lost? The gent {John- not Mr Graham?] had gone down to the village café/bar looking for company, and had found non [20.00hrs], and now wished to return home!
    I enquired where he lived, he repeated his flat number, I volunteered to escort him home: WE got in the lift he was on level 1 but had been advised by the care team to push all the floor destination buttons, and listen to the magic voice announcement and disembark at the floor he remembered he lived at. We negotiated this hurdle satisfactorily and to make the short journey more pleasant I catted in my usual mindless fashion. A response came out straight from the ”barrack room”, I then politely enquired what was he as a younger man. In 1939 he had enlisted in the RAF as a wireless operator, flown in action over Germany, flown in the berlin airlift been demobbed did not like chivvy street and spent his career in the RAF finally winding up as he put it a seat on Nato Organisation during the time of the Falklands WAR. His career spanned that of a fresh faced recruit to a senior officer of some rank wing commander.
    Now I have finished my rabbiting, The blog by John Graham Resurrection Pass, just puts into place memories, and I just wish to add it is people and company