This is a continuation of my blogs on welfare benefits. It directly follows on from the last post. ( You can see all the posts on this subject by clicking on “Welfare Benefits “ in the Tag Cloud )
The Last Laugh Looney Party is aware that its proposed higher pension for older people may be seen as too generous by the younger generation.
So it has a supplementary proposal to give older people a more inclusive role in society.
In exchange for new Super Delux Pension all old people will be expected to work as a volunteer for ten hours a week. That works out as equivalent to £2.62 an hour, which is not even the minimum wage.
Here are some of the things they can do :-
- visiting the elderly who can’t get out and about
- knitting woolly hats for pensioners in Scotland who no longer get winter fuel payments
- teaching children to read and write
- looking after very young children so there mums can go out to work
- being a lollipop lady or man at school crossings
- working free for any charity
- visiting older people in hospital to help feeding them
- serving on jury’s to lock up criminals who con them or burgle them in their homes or mess up their neighbourhoods just hanging around making a nuisance of themselves.
Footnote. Of course you may have noticed that a great many older people do these things already. So at £2.65 an hour that more than pays for the extra SUPER DELUX PENSION SUPPLEMENT 😀
FOOTNOTE This new system would obviously be open to abuse e.g. two old pensioners going down the pub every day would qualify. So the civil servants at the Department of Work and SuperPensions came up with a control regulation just before they were made redundant. To prove their qualifying hours are legitimate, pensioners would have to have their SUPER DELUX BENEFITS PASSPORT stamped by a retired civil servant.