We are all on a voyage sailing into a New World, just like Columbus and Captain Cook. This time with Coronavirus as the wind behind us blowing us hither and thither to who ( certainly not WHO ) knows where.
What seems clear is that we won’t be able to go back to where we were before. The world will have changed by the time this virus is done, but will it be for better or for worse ?
For Worse ?
- Worldwide millions of people will have died, mainly the elderly.
- Third World countries with poor health care will be hit the hardest.
- Heavily indebted Western World countries will be almost bankrupt.
- Global recession could leave millions of people unemployed.
- There will be raging inflation in the West as economies are reshaped.
- The European Union will become the European Disunion.
- China will colonise large parts of the Third World and become the Global dominant economic force through its control of natural resources.
For Better ?
- Climate change will slow down as greenhouse gases reduce.
- The reduction in numbers of old people will ease pressure on the NHS.
- Airlines will be dramatically scaled back and cruise ships will sink altogether.
- Gardening will become the most popular pastime and a necessity for food production.
- The HS2 train will stop before it has started and the fourth runway at Heathrow can stay in mothballs forever.
AND THIS IS JUST FOR STARTERS