Over the last few months, I have been researching welfare benefits entitlements in the UK.  (You can see all my earlier posts by clicking on “Welfare Benefits” in the TAG CLOUD).  

This is the second section which covers the disability benefits.

Attendance Allowance Graph – 8% Yes; 76% No; 16% Not Sure

This benefit is paid to people who have a degree of disability.  It is means tested and there is a daytime and higher night-time allowance.  Only a few people in the group get this allowance.  Quite possibly people who do receive it may not be able to get out and about easily and therefore don’t attend the group.  This is a valuable allowance, but you may need expert help to claim it!



Carer’s Allowance Graph – 4% Yes; 80% No; 16% Not Sure

This benefit is also means tested but it is perhaps surprising that a few more people don’t receive it.

I’m not sure if you can get both Attendance Allowance and Carer’s Allowance.  The majority of carers, particularly relatives, provide assistance for free.

I think Carer’s Allowance is very under-claimed?


Disability Living Allowance Graph – 8% Yes; 76% No; 16% Not Sure 

This is only awarded to people who are disabled before they reach pensionable age.  It can’t be claimed by people who are pensioners.

It has now been superseded by Personal Independence Payments for new applicants.



Personal Independence Payments Graphs – 0% Yes; 80% No; 20% Not Sure

These are means tested benefits, which are adminstered by DHSS.


PIP was introduced in 2013 to replace DLA.  It actually only applies to people between the ages of 16 and 64.  Therefore it is not applicable to pensioners. It’s introduction has been controversial and confusing, 60% of the reviews that cut this benefit have been overturned on appeal.





FOOTNOTE – Please note, I hasten to add that I am no expert and anyone reading this should not take my observations or figures as fact.    Hopefully before I finish this series of blogs, I will have raised awareness of some of the issues in the welfare benefits system.    If you’re intending to make a claim, you should go to one of the trusted agencies like Age UK or Citizens Advice Bureau.   

This entry was posted in Cheylesmore Good Neighbours and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.


  1. David Freeman says:

    A follow on of misinterpretation by the average citezen. I trust those with a defined disability, are cared for? The message appears that one may require some form of “informed advice”, and not just a wish to recieve any of the benefits discussed/surveyed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s